Mock Newbery 2014 Club Summer #1 Meeting

Mock Newbery 2014 Club Summer #1 Meeting

Monday, February 24, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

These is a meme started by Teach Mentor Texts.  I participate in it every week.
  

MIDDLE GRADE/YOUNG ADULT

The Shadow Throne (The Ascendance Trilogy, #3)


How it all began:
What a great series - funny, action-packed, adventurous - just the perfect middle grade/YA fantasy series. I finished this one on the plane to Florida, and I never once thought about the fact that I had to go through Minneapolis instead of taking a shorter direct flight because it kept me so entertained! Jaron is such a great character. I'll miss his reckless, but brave antics, his humor, and the journey on which he and Jennifer Nielsen brought us. Satisfying ending, too! I have a student, Gabby, who finished the series before me and REALLY wanted to talk about it! I love that.  Several students are passing around the finale now.
YOUNG ADULT
The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
 

This book is for the TEENS in your family, not middle graders.
I listened to this one as well as The Raven Boys, and while I LOVE the narrator of this series, I feel like I need to go back and READ both these books. Stiefvater is so witty and smart, and there are so many nuances, twists, and turns in this book, especially, that I think I missed a lot by listening to it. This one shed more light on Ronan, and the fact that he could steal things from dreams was captivating, and Kavinsky was downright evil. Then there's the Gray Man. There's not as much focus on Blue, and I missed that. I seem to have more questions than answers, and I think when the third one comes out, I'll start from the beginning and read them all straight through.  With all that being said, I'm a big Stiefvater fan.  I think she's an amazing writer for teens (and adults)!
CURRENTLY READING
I was almost done, and my library e-book loan expired. :-(  Will finish it up soon.  This is my book club book.
Never Let Me Go 
CURRENTLY LISTENING TO
Oh my gosh - I can't wait to finish this one on audio and review it! SOOOO creepy and not for middle graders!
Scowler
My family loves to read, too!  My daughters are at a stand still for now - that happens! I'm going to send Libby The Raven Boys on her Kindle. ;-)
My husband:
He's really enjoying this author right now!

The Last Man (Mitch Rapp #13)
My mom:
The Sea Captain's Wife
My dad:
Look Behind Every Hill: A Western Duo

What are YOU reading this week?  Students and Parents - I'd love for you to comment and let us know what you're reading. :-)

4 comments:

  1. Nearly finished with Second Watch by J.A. Jance. A little wordy and a bit long in the tooth in spots but a good page turner nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My teenage daughter, Annie, (Bobby's sister) asked me to read Veronica Roth's Divergent trilogy. Apparently, it's being made into movies in the near future. I've read the first two books, Divergent and Insurgent. I really enjoyed them. They remind me of the Hunger Games trilogy. I especially like the Dauntless fear landscapes. Scary! I'm currently reading the last book, Allegiant. Annie was very disappointed in how this book ended, so I'm trying to prepare myself since at this point I'm vested in these awesome characters! I'll keep you posted (no pun intended:)) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SUCH a good series. Yes, brace yourself for the ending. ;-) Thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you that Jennifer Nielsen did an amazing job with the characters in her Ascendance Trilogy. I just adore Jaron. He's smart and cunning and always three steps ahead. I'm so curious as to how she wrote his story...if she really had to think about it or if it came pretty easily to her. It just seems like it would be hard but definitely easier to write a character like that than to be someone as quick-thinking as Jaron. :)

    ReplyDelete