Mock Newbery 2014 Club Summer #1 Meeting

Mock Newbery 2014 Club Summer #1 Meeting

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Picture Book Month and Caldecott 2013 Club

I LOVE picture books, and it's so fun to share them with my classes!  We're using the Picture Book Month calendar to choose a book that follows the theme, then we're summarizing and evaluating them.  Here are the books we've read so far:

This is Not My Hat
 

 
Extra Yarn
 
 
A Strange Place to Call Home: The World's Most Dangerous Habitats & the Animals That Call Them Home
 
Here is Marilyn Singer's website:  http://marilynsinger.net/ and Ed Young's website:  http://edyoungart.com/books.html
 
Bear Has a Story to Tell
 
 
I found a video of Erin Stead explaining how she creates her illustrations.  Very cool!

 
Here is her website: 
 
 
One class also read The Beetle Book by Steve Jenkins:
 
The Beetle Book
 
 
Tomorrow the theme is IMAGINATION!  I have just the book to read! :-)
 
We also started Capture the Flag by Kate Messner in 3 classes.  Don't worry, KME, we'll start tomorrow!  Here is a cool website to learn about the flag that inspired the "Star Spangled Banner."
 
Comment to let me know what picture book you like best so far and why!

2 comments:

  1. I Love the pictures in Extra Yarn. The sweaters are really fantastic the way they are made in the book. I think its creative for Jon Klassen to make everything black and white,then,when the sweaters are made, dashes of color to every page. Magnificent! I do love national picture book month. So many opportunities to read so many fantastic picture books. Gifted reading is just WONDERFUL! love it! - Neily P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neily,
      I love the pictures in Extra Yarn, too! I'm glad you love Picture Book Month - I'm excited every day, picking out a book to share. Thank you for this comment. I think you're WONDERFUL, too! :-)
      - Mrs. Mueller

      Delete